Saturday, December 8, 2012

Week 6 assignment

When thinking about adjourning stage of the team building, I remember the time that we had to say goodbye to the classmates as we took the early childhood diploma together. It was a very intensive program and all of us needed to study from 8am to 5pm on a daily basis. Through the year, we built strong relationship and we went through difficult situations, such as wanting to give up and making mistakes during practicum, but with the help and encouragement from each other, we kept working hard and passed all the hurdles. When it was the time to say goodbye, everyone was with tears and couldn't let go of each other's hands. The adjourning stage was hard because of the strong relationship we built. 

The adjourning stage is very important because we need to form new relationship with other people to learn new things, techniques, and tasks. We need the new relationship to make us stronger and more effective in different things. Through different teams, we learn new skills, so the adjourning stage is essential for us.

5 comments:

  1. Karie,
    I had a similar experience with my ECE group in college. However, I had a hard time saying good-bye to the professors more than the colleagues. It is because of their support and empowerment that I am pursuing my Master’s. I stayed in touch with some of them and continue to relay on them whenever I need advice in the field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karie,
    I like your point of view of why we need to experience the adjourning stage. Continuing to build new relationships in order to learn new techniques and skills seems logical. Especially in the field of early childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karie,

    I too had a similar experience when I was getting my teaching license but had a harder time saying goodbye to my professors. In the early childhood field, teachers often come in contact with each other through seminars and different certifications so I knew I would see my colleagues again. Thankfully, my professors have always had an open door policy and encourage their students to check in from time to time so I know they are always there for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karie,
    I think the adjourning phase is just like many things in life, we need closure. I agree that when it is time to move on and learn new skills or apply the skills we have learned...it is then time to form a different team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adjourning is very difficult. It is hard to say goodbye. I like what you said about us needing to grow and meet new people. I never really thought about adjourning as an opportunity to meet new people and grow from moving on.

    ReplyDelete