Thursday, November 10, 2011

My favorite quotes, my favorite book, and an artwork from a child

I actually have two favorite quotes that I want to share them with you...

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." By Frederick Douglass
"Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve." By Roger Lewin

We always encourage children to develop their sense of self, skills/abilities such as self-help, self-esteem, self-discipline, self-control and so on. However, sometimes children are over-protected and parents tend to do everything for them, which makes children too vulnerable when standing up for their rights, thoughts, and feelings. If we just give children answers, sooner or later they may lose their abilities to seek out solutions for problems; they may lose their curiosity about the environment and things happening around them. That's why I always keep in mind these two quotes and support my children to be strong and confident individuals.

One of my favorite books is "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" by Bill Martin Jr and Pictures by Eric Carle. I like it so much because it has beautiful pictures about different animals with vivid colors. The repetition of the words allows children to pick it up quickly and they can start repeating the words after 3-4 pages. It also provides opportunities for teacher and children interaction. It's easy enough for children to just read it by themselves and show it to their friends - a good way to build up their self-confidence. I really enjoy reading this book with my children.


This is a picture from one of my not-yet-3-year-old student. I was amazed by the details she put on this work.
"I can see you draw a very beautiful picture. Can you tell me about your picture?"
"This is me. This is hair, two eyes, nose, and this is my mouth."
"I see, but how come I don't see your ears?"
"My ears here." pointing at her own ears.
:)

4 comments:

  1. Can't believe you couldn't see those ears. I love kid comments. I have been writing my daughter's words in the form of a book. Someday I may have it illustrated and bound. That would be pretty special. Wishing I had done something like it with the other kids. I think capturing children's thoughts for them in writing is a critical part of introducing written expression. They feel so powerful when they realize they have a voice and being able to take their own stories home to "read" to their family is icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karie that is a great story about the picture. Children come up with some of the best remarks that bring a smile to your face. She did provide a lot of detail for not yet turning 3. I also like "Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do you see?" It is a book that I read often to the children. The first couple of times I would ask them what they thought the next and the color would be before I turned the page. They loved trying to figure it out. You could also tell the children who knew the book. I find books with repetition are fun to read with children. I found the children would start nodding their head, tapping their feet, or the table to the beat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karie

    "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" is a book that I have been using when I teach the letter B every year. This is a classic book that teaches many skills that students learn. As the students explore this story, they are so in tune to what the story is about until they are not aware of what they are actually learning. Great book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quotes that you have shared are true. We have a tendency to handicap our children especially the preschoolers saying what they can't do instead of giving them the opportunity to do a task.

    ReplyDelete