Saturday, November 26, 2011

Quotes from early childhood professionals

"Students not only need to know how to use a skill but also when to use it. They need to learn to recognize for themselves the context in which the skill might be useful and the purposes it can most appropriately serve."
                                                                                                          - Sylvia Chard



"The greatest enemy of children today is poverty. We're not doing enough." 
                                                                                                          - Edward Zigler


"I had a built-in passion that it was important to make the real contribution to the world, and to fix all the injustices that existed in the world, and i wanted to do that through teaching...So the passion I had when I started is just as great now, as it ever was, maybe greater, because I've seen the wonderful impact that using when I call it "Anti-bias" approach has, not just on the children, but on the teachers, who have to kinda figure out who they are, and understand themselves and uncover their own discomforts and missed information. So I fought, I see adults finding their voice, as a result of doing this work. It's like they reclaim and heal things that happened to their own childhood that maybe no one had helped them work with when they were young. So the passion to create a safer and more just world for all kids is there, and I suppose I will be there until I die..."    
                                                                                                       - Louise Derman-Sparks

"We, as professionals in the early childhood field, have the opportunity to shape a child's life for the better so that's what makes me passionate about this work." 
                                                                                                       - Sandy Escobido

6 comments:

  1. I love the quote you posted from Sandy Escobido. I feel the same way and that is the reason I am still in the field of early childhood today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote from Edward Zigler that is very true. We are not doing enough to prevent poverty. Thanks for sharing that quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the quote from Sandy Escobido. It takes passionate people like us who are willing to shape children's lives. That's what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the quote from Louise Derman-Sparks. In fact, I believe in her misson with such passion that I am currently developing a workshop incorporating her beliefs and tools into my curriculum by way of hands on activities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As stated by Felicia, I am very moved by the quote by Edward Zigler. Poverty has to be addressed and considered when deciding how to educate a child because poverty definitely has an impact on how children learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with Sandy Escobido because I also posted the same statement. I do believe that we have the power to shape a child's life for the better if we just do our small part.

    ReplyDelete