Monday, October 1, 2012

microaggression

I experiences microaggression myself as an immigrant to a western country. Even though I have lived in Canada for about half of my life, I still experience microaggression quite often. I remember when I was in the university during lab tutorial, we needed to find people to group together and do projects. The “white” students often show unwillingness to be paired with Asian students, and they would suggest that we could pair up with students with our own language and background. It was uncomfortable hearing something like this even though they didn’t show any impolite words but I still felt discriminating here.

After learning more about microaggression this week, I become more aware of these issues and learn to avoid any discrimination to people, especially about classism. Classifying people with their economic status is discrimination, prejudice, and stereotype. Being able to view people equally regardless of their gender, background, socioeconomic status, education and religions is very important as an early childhood educator because we need to be good models for children to eliminate these discriminations.

No comments:

Post a Comment