Saturday, November 24, 2012

Week 4 blog assignment

For your blog this week, think about the similarities and differences between how you evaluated yourself as a communicator and how others evaluated you. What is the one thing that surprised you the most? Why? What other insights about communication did you gain this week? Choose at least two to share with others through your blog and consider how each might inform your professional work and personal life.


As thinking of this assignment, I have different thoughts about being an effective communicator. I evaluated myself as a "okay" communicator, being able to listen and comment on the conversation. When I asked my colleagues about my communication styles and abilities, they all thought I had good communication skills when talking to parents. They liked the way I restated their points and then added my new thoughts to it. When I asked my boyfriend about my communication skills, he mentioned that I didn't know how to start and stop a conversation, so my conversation with others were always longer than it should be. After listening to this comment, I reflected on myself and did find out this issue, probably because I'm a listener and seldom stop people's talking. I will keep in mind of this point and try to improve on it.

1 comment:

  1. Karie,
    One of the biggest lessons this assignment taught me was reflection about current styles and what we can do to adjust our styles to be more effective communicators. It sounds to me like you received good feedback and are able to work on making some of those adjustments.

    ReplyDelete